Tuesday 24 June 2014

Never Talk to a Seagull

I managed to totter off and do four of my magazine route calls this morning.  Only one was at home, but he did seem pleased to see me, and we had a nice doorstep chat.  He was puffing away on his ciggie as I handed him the Watchtower about the Bible and smoking...

On the walk up one drive I noticed a seagull on the roof. It was making a strange piercing repetitive call.  "Whats the matter chick?"  I asked it as I stopped to see if I could tell what was up.   I could see it noticing me before it got on with its calling.   I delivered my magazine and set off back down the path. Whereupon it dive bombed me.  It kept coming for my head, which was alarming.  I managed to get very close to some garden trees so it wouldn't be able to get at my hair and eyes and was able to get out of its range.

Maybe it had a baby on the ground and, on seeing me noticing its call, thought I was a predator and was on the look out for the little creature.  Flattering, but poor judgement on its part if so, as you only have to look at me to see that an arthritic tortoise could outpace me without much effort.

Or it might be that "What's the matter chick?" means something very rude in Seagull.

So I must never stop and chat to the gulls again.  Its too risky.  I am not a great talker to people - so it is an undeserved kindness in every way for Jehovah to have let me understand "the way of the truth", as I am so much not a people person.  I talk to gulls - well I did  (have learnt my lesson there) - cats, dogs, plants and even the furniture. But talking to people is problematical.  For me, anyway.  I very much admire people who can do it.  And yet I must do the preaching work. That is what Jesus taught his followers to do, and asked them to continue doing.

This is how the book of Matthew ends:   "Go, therefore, and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit,  teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded you. And look! I am with you all the days until the conclusion of the system of things.”

This present system of things on the earth has not come to its end yet, so we must keep going.


The Captain left for his Brighton conference quite early, and I did the shopping after I had done some more of my route calls.  There was one disabled space left at Waitrose, for which I do thank Jehovah.  If I park in an ordinary space and another car parks to near to the door, I can't get back in my car. The new knees are not as flexible as the original pair.


No comments:

Post a Comment