Sunday 5 January 2014

Shepherds Warning

Red sky at night
Shepherds delight
Red sky in the morning
Shepherds warning.

That is an old weather rhyme I remember my mother teaching me when I was a child.  And we have a strange and wonderful red sky this morning.  So what is in store?   Nothing that would delight a shepherd I assume.

It is also a "mackerel sky" - something I remember from the Cornish element of my childhood. When the sky was full of these mackerel clouds, did it mean that the mackerel shoals would be running?  Or was it that they looked like a shoal of mackerel in the sky?  I can't now remember. It was a long long time ago.  Our granny sold her Cornish house when we were very young.

The JW Calender for September and October 2013 started with:   "The earth will certainly be filled with the knowledge of Jehovah." - Isaiah 11:9.  And it went on to comment:   "In the new world, your education will reach unprecedented heights. You will continue learning forever about Jehovah, his purpose for us, his amazing creation, and how he wants us to care for the earth. - Revelation 20:12."

And, even as things are now, with us imperfect and dying and all the stresses and distractions, Jehovah makes learning both easy and pleasant.  But we know so little now, and there is so much to know, so much to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment