Friday 11 March 2011

Tsunami - and the calming of the Sea of Galilee

We spent much of the morning watching the horror of the earthquake and tsunami in Japan on the News, seeing the devastating power of water.  The tsunami warnings are sounding throughout the Pacific.  I have emailed Clody (who has family in the Philippines) and Dorothy (in NZ), and wondered about ringing my brother and his family and waking them up...   they are in Oz.  However, they are in the East, as Col pointed out.

But what next?  And where?  I am looking out at the English Channel, a calmish grey-blue, surging outside our window, and wondering - and thinking about all my brothers and sisters in the Pacific coastlands - I hope and pray that Jehovah will take care of them.

The Japanese are very competent and organised, but this is an awful lot to cope with - including a burning oil refinery, that was described as 'apocalyptic'.

Yes, we live in a time of increasing natural and social disasters, as Jesus warned.  Its as if the rebellion in Eden is now coming to its full fruitage - once and for all time.  In Eden, Adam and Eve cut themselves off from their Creator, their source of life, and found they could not even keep themselves alive, let alone run this beautiful and complex planet.

Maybe this is the time to remind people that Jesus, the King of God's Kingdom, calmed the storm on the Sea of Galilee when he was on earth, showing us what he can and will do as Jehovah's annointed one when God's Kingdom comes.  I don't know if there will be tsunamis then, but if so they will do no harm.

I was out with a young pioneer sister yesterday - we go out on the preaching work together every other week.  We did some return visits, and found two people at home and had a chat, and delivered 4 magazines.  We only did an hour, and finished just as it was starting to rain.

When Ruby and Wilhellmina called on me, all those years ago, in my Northern hometown.  I invited them in.  I had been looking for nearly two years I think, and was probably reading a Bible or puzzling over some book of theology when they arrived.  I thought, well, maybe they have one piece of the puzzle.  Although I would never have thought of talking to the Jehovah's Witnesses had they not come to my door.   Which bring it home to me how important the door to door work is even in such well worked territory.

Anyway, they stayed 20 minutes.  And in that twenty minutes, I learned more about the Bible than in all my churchgoing/convent school years.

Today, its the optician (new glasses for Mrs Captain B - and no straying towards the expensive Gok Wan Frames Shelf - sadly I usually end up more Dame Edna - minus the glamour), shopping & cooking - Jacks and Ubbeh are coming for curry tomorrow, and i need to get the chicken bought and in its marinade.

No comments:

Post a Comment