Monday 4 February 2019

The Snow Arrives

Thursday night Captain Butterfly drove me to the Kingdom Hall and said he would pick me up as the weather forecast worried him.  No snow as we drove there - no frost even - but when he picked me up nearly 2 hours later we drove out into a snowy Winter Wonderland.

I was so grateful for the chauffering.  I have never driven in snow  (no snow in Saudi).   However, come Saturday all our snow had gone, so Jean and I were able to go out on the work. We only did an hour - 3 calls each - it was cold but sunny -everything looked so beautiful - the sunlight on the empty trees.     However, it was very chilly on Saturday evening and when we drove over into the East Sussex wilderness for supper with Dan and Libby, we found there was still some snow on the ground - soft when we arrived, icy when we left.

I am terrified of ice now.  It has become a "terror in the way", as Ecclesiastes puts it in that perfect poetic description of old age.  "and the grasshopper drags itself along..."

Lilian - exPlanetExpat - rang and we had a chat. Its good to keep in touch - we saw a lot of each other in our expat years.   She studied (the Bible) with me, and still keeps up some contact with the local Jehovah's Witness congregation.  She does not go to the meetings, sadly. She would learn so much if she did.

We had a lovely supper with Dan, Libby, Richard, Sarah and Indi in the uncharted region beyond Brighton - got back after midnight - a very very late night for us these days - meeting in the morning for me plus shopping for Jacks and Jean,  detectoring for the Captain. And I, with so much that needs doing, dozed on the sofa all afternoon...

Perhaps the thought of this week daunted me - 2 hospital visits, 1 trip to the dentist and one day out in London.  It feels like an Everest to climb.

The snow went as suddenly as it came, and today any kids on The Green will have to be content with making rainmen and throwing rainballs. Though I think only the valiant dog walkers will be out.

No comments:

Post a Comment