Wednesday 20 February 2019

The Recorders Conference (and hello John, if you are reading)

Anther year has hurtled round and on Saturday the Captain and I went to the Recorders Conference in Haywards Heath.   Very well organised as usual, and some great talks.  Michael and Clare compered (is that the word?) very competently.

I got sidetracked from blogging the Conference as I found two new reviews of "Waiting for Gordo" that I wanted to blog.  It is lovely when people enjoy something you have read - just as its lovely if they enjoy a meal you have spent time cooking.

Which reminds me that I had a cooking afternoon yesterday.  I noticed that we were down to the last two pieces of cake in the freezer when  was making His Lordship's sandwiches this morning, so I do need to re-stock.  Marmalade muffins I think, as he is presently eating the last but one slice of carrot cake.

So that meant that I ate half a hot marmalade muffin - and I should not be eating cakes or biscuits at all.    It was delicious though. I use a Cranks recipe I have been using for years, and it has never let me down yet.  The important thing is to use raw brown sugar. And I also have Captain Butterfly's home-made marmalade, of which he made gallons some years ago.

And now I can't have hot buttered toast with marmalade... diabetes.

Anyway back to the Recorders Conference.   Two things, the creation is endlessly fascinating, and its always heartwarming to be reminded how many people are out there trying to care for it, many of them unpaid.

The talk on the seals of Chichester Harbour, by John Arnott, was great, and made us want to visit and see them - but from a tactful non-harrassing distance.And we also enjoyed the Fungi of Lullington Heath, speaker Margin Allison.

It is only over the last few years that I have begun to realise and appreciate the beauty and the variety of the fungi herds

We had a talk on Seed Conservation - all the work that is quietly going on there - and one on Bryophyte Recording - and I didn't even know what a Bryophyte is! A kind of dinosaur?   But it turned out to be  mosses - but with some more things added - worts of various kinds.   And there was a talk about the return of otters to Sussex, which was exciting but which, for obvious reasons, didn't give too much away.  All this plus some info about the Sussex local wildlife sites initiative - something which hopefully will lead to more wildlife corridors  - and there was an opportunity for current projects to be publicised.

And there was an excellent and well-organised veggie lunch, plus two coffee breaks.

We had to miss the last two talks - Grasshopper & Crickets and Earthworms, as Col had something urgent to collect from the Detectorist Shop before it closed.

I did visit Maggie this afternoon.  I found her in a new bed and with the net curtains from her window gone - perhaps for laundering - and with a view of sky and trees.   I chatted away for half an hour and she appeared to enjoy my visit - and heartbreakingly looked sad when I left.  Even though she no longer has the slightest idea who I am.

What a mess we, the damaged children of Adam, are in. But a rescue is on the way. The Kingdom of God is so close now.  Already it is working miracles, gathering people from "every tribe and nation and tongue" and teaching us to be one loving family.

And every year at the Recorders Conference and other such Wildlife/Eco occasions that we go to it seems more and more strange to me how the Creator's name is never mentioned, how Jehovah is never thanked for the glory and splendour of it all.

Oh and welcome back to the blog John, if you are here!  It was a nice surprise to bump into you in the supermarket.


No comments:

Post a Comment