Sunday 10 February 2019

Playground Blues

Why do we still put children (and all the other little creatures found on the killing ground) through this?

https://www.poetryinternationalweb.net/pi/site/poem/item/13619/auto/0/BACK-IN-THE-PLAYGROUND-BLUES

My faraway schooldays have left me bad at coping with all unstructured breaks. I still dread them.

My medical week has given me a sore shoulder and arm - from the scan on Monday - the trolley was very hard on my somewhat failed shoulder implant .  And I have another procedure to face - plus a dental crown looming ahead - but I also have some new creams for my skin condition and a biopsy in a month if they don't clear it.

I feel like a one woman exocet missile aimed at the poor old NHS.

How much longer can I last?  So the other poem I am thinking of just now is Philip Larkin's "Next Please"    The"huge and birdless silence" is rapidly approaching.

Jean and I had a lovely morning on Saturday, still doing our return visits.  We found lots of people at home, had some good talks, and can call back in every case.  Tricky driving though.  You don't realise how many Closes the world has in it until you start to go door to door.  And how few parking spaces.

And bear in mind I need a space that would fit a double-decker bus, easily.

And the we had lunch at the Hall, followed by the Broadcast.
https://tv.jw.org/#en/home

Jacks cancelled supper at the last minute, she is not feeling any better - to put it mildly. So Col and I had Chicken Kiev in front of the Rugby.   And as there was a lot of cheering and clapping I expect there were a lot of runs.   But I can't tell one end of  Rugby racket from the other, so I can't be sure.

The Captain left early, laden with boxes of sandwiches and metal detectors, and I am just off to the Kingdom Hall for the Sunday meeting. Then I must shop - I need to get Jean's Kefir milk for Tuesday. And then I hope I will reply to Pete's very very interesting letter and email and also write a thank you letter, in the old-drawn fashion, to Jeremy and Paddy. 

But what may happen is that I will come back, have lunch, and fall asleep in front of the telly...


No comments:

Post a Comment