Saturday 23 February 2019

Red in Tooth and Claw

I had the opportunity to post a poem I wrote many years ago on fb today.  Well, its actually a verse.

A MORAL DILEMMA
by me

Why do I feel
No pity for the flea?
I suppose because
It preys on me
The two giant spiders
In the bath
Fill me with such panic
I have to ask
Ken-next-door
To take them out
But I do not wash them
Down the spout
I do no harm
To mice or rats
A philosophy not followed
By my cats
But fleas I kill
With sprays and no remorse
I spray the cats
As a matter of course
Fleas probably die
An awful death
Slowly choking
Robbed of breath
Do they feel?  Think?
Care?  All that?
Have they just
Achieved their cat?
A comfy home
With lots of bites?
A decent future
For their mites?
All in all
A scratchy heaven?
When suddenly
I am upon ‘em
PIFF PAFF
I squirt their furry host
And the fleas’
Paradise is lost


We live in a fallen world at the moment.  Things will be restored wonderfully when the earthly paradise is restored. And what the role of the flea will be then I can't imagine.

Jean and I were out this morning, trying to tell all who will listen about this - without any specific reference to fleas though.   We were given a small Close to do - only found a few in - but had one very interesting call with a young girl who was in the middle of her ironing. She turned out to be ironing her Prison Officer's uniform shirt!

We both agreed she looked too young and fragile for the job, perhaps expecting someone large and frightening.   But it is our local open prison she works in so hopefully large and frightening isn't required.   A lovely girl - she probably charms all the prisoners she meets anyway - she took the current magazine - and we may call back.  

I am trying to think what on earth I did yesterday, but its a worrying blank.   I was having a bit of   an arthritis flare up - right leg - and Captain B was limping horribly - with Metal Detector's foot (in my opinion).   I had to take some strong medication which made me feel really sick, and he eventually limped off to the shops, doing Jackie's shopping too.

And on Thursday I was an emergency householder, as the sister who was allocated the part was still in the West Indies.

This was our brief:    

FIRST RETURN VISIT

Question: Is the Bible compatible with science?
Scripture: Job 26:7
Link: Is the Bible’s advice practical?
Job 26:7 says, of Jehovah that "He stretches out the northen sky over empty space, suspending teh earth upon nothing.   So there it is, in one of the earliest books of the Bible, an accurate picture of the earth, floating in space.



No comments:

Post a Comment