Sunday 12 May 2019

The Family Tree

I am trying to sort through one file of paper a day now, so as not to leave too much of a muddle if and when - I am in the Death Zone, under the threescore years and ten rule - so it can only be a matter of time.    And while I was at it, a yellowing slip of paper fell on the floor.  It contained this poem, which I must have saved years ago, and will continue to keep.

The Family Tree
by William Plomer

The old camellia drops a red rosette
Down on the clean swept path again today
What is the meaning of the word "regret"
When so much grace accompanies decay?

The death of a Camellia is beautiful. And the litter it leaves on the paths and pavements is lovely and biodegradable.   

But our death and decay is not lovely.   It is painful, ugly and undignified.   And that is because we were not made to die. We were meant to live forever.

We had some very bad family news yesterday. A brother in law with cancer, who will not recover.
Its terminal.    A sad sad weekend.

Plus I feel terrible, absolutely full of a cold, my eyes hurt so that its hard to see.   Its been a bleak couple of days.

The Captain and I shared a packet of fish and chips last night, but without Jackie, who does not need to come round and get my cold.  And we had planned a week up North - starting Tuesday - a Metal Detecting week for the Captain, in which was going to discover the lost Treasure Chest of King Canute (if, that is, King Canute ever visited my Northern hometown and lost a Treasure Chest while doing so), and I was going to have a Writers Week.

But everything is on hold in the wake of this news.

I spoke to Lilian ex-planetExpat today. We had a long chat.. I am trying and trying to get her to go back to the meetings .  We need to be taught and guided among Jehovah's congregated people.

I have been thinking about Ken a lot.  We lived next door for many years.  In fact, he features in my poem "A Moral Dilemma".

I will ring Nute up tomorrow when, hopefully, I have my voice back.

No comments:

Post a Comment