Saturday 25 May 2019

My Talk

I had a talk in the Ministry School on Thursday, and that kind of pulled me back to life again.  I had to drive over to my sister's in the morning to practise it - had a nice hour together - and then as I was out that way, I dropped a magazine in to Grace and did another couple of calls.

One of my calls wants a copy of "Mankind's Search for God", so I am now trying to find one.  I have put an order in, but the Book Counter Brother is not sure if we are still publishing it.   

Yesterday I made myself go shopping for us and for Jackie.  She is coming round tonight and we are having Thai chicken, and ice cream to follow. 

I had written my talk before the Lurg struck me down because we had expected to be away 'oop North last week - but in the end only the Captain was (and only for a few days).

My brief was:
First Return Visit: (3 min. or less) Use the sample conversation. (th study 2)

The sample conversation was:
Question: Is death the end of it all?
Scripture: Job 14:14, 15
Link: What will life be like when God resurrects our dead loved ones?
And study 2 is: Conversational Manner.
And this was my talk:

Me:   Hello S. I am Sue.  If you remember we had such an interesting talk on your doorstep on Saturday and you said you would like to continue the discussion, so here I am.

HH:  Yes, Thanks,  I do remember. I have been thinking about it a lot, as I was so surprised when you showed me that the Bible say the dead are conscious of nothing at all.  Now I agree with that, but I had thought the Bible said that when you died you went to heaven.

Sue:  Yes, Many people do think that is what the Bible says.  I did myself for many years, until one day two Jehovah's Witnesses called at my door and they showed me what the Bible on my shelf had been saying all along.  And then I asked the same question you asked me on Saturday.  is this short life all we are to have?  Is there any point to it?

HH:  Yes. I've been thinking about this a lot since we talked. And I have been wondering too why you go door to door with the Bible if this is all we have. What is the point of doing that?

Sue:  And that is why I called. To show you the same question in the Bible - and to show you the answer.   Its here at Job 14:14, 15:  (Reads) "If a man dies, can he live again?"  That is the same question isn't it - is this short life all there is? And here is the answer, here is what Job was hoping for.  He says" I will wait all the days of my compulsory service " - that is compulsory service in death as we can't reclaim ourselves from it.  So he will sleep in death  "until my relief comes. You will call, and I will answer you. You will long for the work of your hands."   So can you see that God will wake us from the dreamless sleep of death.

HH: Yes.  But could that be saying that we are dead for some time, but then go to heaven later?

Sue: That's a good question.  But think about this. Those verses tell us that our Creator longs to see us again. He does not want us lost to death. So if wants us in heaven, why wouldn't he just take us straight to heaven?   Could I show you how the Bible answers those questions, how it tells us where faithful Job will wake up, and what a wonderful awakening it will be.

HH: Yes, I would love to know. Could you call by tomorrow morning?  I'll have a bit of time to spare them, and maybe we can have a cup of tea.

Sue: Thanks. I won't say no to that.





No comments:

Post a Comment