Tuesday 1 January 2019

Hello Julia

Hello Julia, if you are reading, and welcome to 2019.   Sorry we missed you - but maybe next time?  We had a great drive back down - 5 hours door to door, which is about as fast as it gets.

I drew the curtains at 7.15 a.m. to find a beautiful start to the new year.  The moon was a perfect crescent, its companion the morning star was so bright - and they were echoed by the lights dotted along the dark promenade. The sun was just beginning to glow along a horizon of low clouds at the back of the Channel.

Soon Jehovah will "bring to ruin" all those who are ruining his lovely earth.

We had lunch at the Arundel Wetland Trust - and a walk around afterwards.  It was a beautiful day, as you can see from the photos.
Goldfinch, Carduelis carduelis

I had better make a list of What I Did in My Holidays while my few remaining brain cells can remember.

We traveled 'oop North' on the Sunday - once again a good journey - the traffic was heavy but not bad.   Monday we pottered about helping Nute - who is very organised.   I made the lunch for us and chopped veggies.  But unfortunately I am so feeble nowadays that my hands didn't stand up too well to the chopping, and I really had to pace myself.

On the Day itself - Saturnalia, the Solstice, whatever it should rightly be called - the Dronfield family, and Jo and Matthew came. We all managed to fit ourselves round the table, and we had a lovely roast turkey dinner. Followed by an immense array of puddings. I confined myself to a bowl of fresh fruit salad, a tiny taste of Helen's cheesecake (I could have eaten it all - she and Nute are great bakers), and a quarter of a home-made mince pie.

Wednesday we drove over the Snake to see Bea and family.  She gave us a lunch of veggie soup and cheese sandwiches - perfect for the day after the Day - and I had a tiny taste of the apple pie and custard that followed.

Anna is now applying for Uni - to do photography. And she has already got a couple of interviews of the strength of her portfolio.  They are a very artistic family.

The weather stayed damp and cold - no ice, no snow.  The driver over the Snake is lovely whatever the weather, but it closes when its really snowy.

After lunch on Thursday I was sitting in what used to be my parent's sitting room - a big square room - and thinking thst they would be pleased to see it filled to the brim with their children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren.  And lots of wrapping paper and tinsel and suchlike.   Sadly, my bro and his family were not there, being in Oz, but we had a Skype call with them.

Ten years since we saw them!  They all looked very well.

Anyway, it was a crowded day with the Lilac Tree Farm family and the Dronfield family, and Jo and Matthew.    And Harry, the only great grandson, coped very well in a sea of little girls.  He rose calmly above it, and go on with his computering.   They had requested a Treasure Hunt, which seems to have become a tradition. But one of the younger grandaughters had somehow managed to suss out every clue in the house (which is quite big and rambling) before it even started.   She led them all whizzing past the clues at top speed to the Treasure itself.  Harry followed the tide of bossy little girls calmly, made sure he got his Treasure, and got back to his computeriing.

We are considering laying a false trail next December.  But will we all be hear next December?

I feel as if I ought to say something profound about 2018 that has just gone. But what?   We lost Shaun, the eldest grandson, so shockingly and unexpectedly.  Linda had her dream wedding, with a reception in a Castle.  I have collected another set of minus health points...

I can draw no conclusion, beyond that we are another year nearer to our rescue via the Kingdom of God, the heavenly government, for whose coming Jesus taught us to pray.

We are not praying in vain.  It should be an interesting year.   And I hope everyone will think seriously about the lovely planet and the amazing universe we live in and seek for their Creator, while he is to be found.

No comments:

Post a Comment