Saturday 19 January 2019

Good Wives? Margaret Forster

I have always been a Margaret Forster fan and am trying to collect all her early novels from second hand bookshops.  And I found "Good Wives?" in our local Oxfam the other day. She tells the story of marriage down a couple of centuries through the lives of Mary Livingstone, Fanny Stevenson, Jennie Lee and herself.

I have only skimmed it so far, reading more about the Forster marriage, as I have just read and re-read her wonderful memoir "Hidden Lives".   But what a dangerous and difficult thing marriage has been for so many women.

It should not have been.  It was an arrangement that should have brought nothing but happiness. But once our parents cut themselves off from their Creator it all went wrong.

Col found an old wartime penny yesterday.  1944. All covered with verdigris. A penny was something back then.  In the 1950s it could buy you 4 aniseed balls, or 1 gobstopper.

I took Jean out on Friday as we are not available today - meeting Catherine and Rob for lunch. I also took her to visit Ken on Wednesday afternoon. He is looking much better then when  I last saw him, so they are looking after him well. I hope to get back to my visits to Maggie next week, as I think the Nursing Home is open again.  Thursday was the meeting of course. The morning was taken up with medical matters - lots of medical matters.   

I posted a letter and a copy of  "Old Playgrounds" to Darren on Friday.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007FQEDUU/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

And I posted a copy of our latest Watchtower magazine to a lady on my route who is no longer able to make it to the door.  Well, I drove over and put it through her letterbox.

Our lives are so difficult now, damaged and dying as we are. But we are not abandoned. And if she will only read the magazine, check it with her Bible, and think seriously about it, it will give her such a wonderful hope.
https://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/watchtower-no1-2019-jan-feb/who-is-god-bible-answers/

No comments:

Post a Comment