Sunday 4 October 2015

Its Not Whether you Win or Lose, its How you Play the Game...

... and apparently the England Team played it (Rugby) very badly last night and were trounced by Australia.   Even I could see they were not playing well - and its all still a bit of a mystery to me.  All I can say if I was on that pitch, any rugby pitch, and that ball came anywhere near me, I would run very fast in the opposite direction.

Well, I say very fast...   as fast as my zimmering could take me.  And, according to the Captain they might just as well have had me in the team.  I suppose, to be fair, I could have lost the match as effectively as anyone.

This blog could have been headed: "Bread and Circuses" as with all the horrors and disasters currently going on, rugby is probably the last thing we should be worrying about.  But there is nothing I can do about the other things either - except this one powerful thing, to try to get the truth to people. And I must try harder and get out on the doors more.

Christianity is called "the way of the truth".   And Jehovah's inspired word has power to reach hearts and minds.  It also assures us that a rescue is on the way. We, the children of Adam, can not get ourselves out of the sticky trap we are caught in. And the more we struggle, it seems, the worse we make it.


Jackie came round for supper - chicken and ham pie (courtesy of our new Pie Shop), mash, cauliflower cheese (by moi, from Delia Smith), carrots (Duchy organic, no peeling required), and custard cream with raspberries for after (courtesy of Lidl and Scotland). We also had a cheeseboard and some After Eight Mints.  The Captain nobly did the shopping while Jean and I were out on the Field Service.

We then sat down to watch England lose to Australia...  "I'm coming home with you!" I said, clutching Jackie's coat as the Captain foamed and raged behind us. She tiptoed out just before they lost (sensible girl).

That reminds me of a verse in the Bible I discovered during my initial study of it.  It stopped me in my tracks at the time.

(Zechariah 8:23) “This is what Jehovah of armies says, ‘In those days ten men out of all the languages of the nations will take hold, yes, they will take firm hold of the robe of a Jew, saying: “We want to go with you, for we have heard that God is with you people.”’”

I was surprised that, centuries and centuries ago, someone had stated exactly what I felt, and feel, about the Jehovah's Witnesses.  And, of course, it was the faithful Jewish remnant in the first century who came through, in the face of intense persecution. to recognise Jesus as the Messiah and to found the Christian congregation.  

I have clung to them ever since.

No comments:

Post a Comment