Friday 18 September 2015

Entertaining the Waiting Room

I have a talk next week with a sudden change of helper - its a difficult one, with a graphic account of the death of King Eglon - its not the sort of thing you are likely to find yourself talking about on the doorstep, for example, so the setting will have to be talking to a Bible student, as my settings usually seem to be.

Captain Butterfly is doing very well, all things considered.  I am very grateful to Jehovah - and also to the NHS.   He is back to doing his blog and as I carelessly left the window open yesterday, he flew off to the Wetland Trust - in spite of all my clucking about getting enough rest, just had big operation, etc.    Jackie texted us, she is having a hectic holiday, and we are looking forward to her being back. We have a pie and mash supper waiting in the freezer for her, courtesy of Roger, who did some shopping for us while he was staying.

I have read Ethan Frome, by Edith Wharton.  Oh dear. Unrelieved gloom, though something of a surprise ending.  Not a surprise that it was so miserable, just a different sort of misery from what I was expecting.   Its well written, but I have to say: Why write it in the first place?

At any rate, we had a jollier time than expected on Tuesday when the Contraption was removed. They warned us we would be there for several hours - for a very good reason, as it turns out. They have to make sure everything is working without mechanical aid!    So there was a big jug of water in the waiting room, paper cups, and lots of guys tottering in and out of the loo with jugs.  And many a manly joke about it all.

However, I got the biggest laugh of the morning (unintentionally) as, when they warned us we would be there till at least midday, I trekked off to the second hand bookshop and came back with 3 large books and a packet of mints.  When I came back laden down with reading matter, everyone burst out laughing.  "I'm a realist" I said glumly, "I'm preparing for a long stay".    Though, to be fair, it was very efficient and we were out of there just before noon.

Politicians should regard the NHS as a jewel in their crown and spend their money on it, not in destabilising country after country in the Middle East.  In fact, if they are bent on destablisiing countries and producing immense amounts of refugees, then the need to spend money on the NHS becomes ever more urgent. These people are not going to be in good shape by the time they get here.

I have got back on the door to door preaching work, was out with my siblings yesterday. But I am now so dreadfully behind with my magazine routes and return visits that I hardly dare look at them...

No comments:

Post a Comment