Wednesday 16 July 2014

Shooting Fish

"It makes you look much younger"  said Malcolm after he had finished shearing me.   "Are you sure?"  I quavered.   "Yes,  MUCH younger." he said firmly.  So I simpered happily home and he went off to shoot some fish in barrels.

Lara came round yesterday and we practised her talk.   The material Lara is using is this extract from the book "Reasoning from the Scriptures":

"Will God, in his great mercy, eventually save all humankind?
Does 2 Peter 3:9 indicate that there will be universal salvation? It says: “The Lord is not slow about his promise as some count slowness, but is forbearing toward you, not wishing that any should perish [“he does not want anyone to be destroyed,” TEV], but that all should reach repentance.” (RS) It is God’s merciful desire that all of Adam’s offspring repent, and he has generously made provision for forgiveness of the sins of those who do. But he does not force anyone to accept that provision. (Compare Deuteronomy 30:15-20.) Many reject it. They are like a drowning man who pushes away a life preserver when it is thrown to him by someone who desires to help. It should be noted, however, that the alternative to repentance is not an eternity in hellfire. As 2 Peter 3:9 shows, those who do not repent will perish, or “be destroyed.” Verse 7 (RS) also refers to “destruction of ungodly men.” There is no thought of universal salvation here.—See also the main heading “Hell.”"

The title of the talk is:  " Universal Salvation Is Not Scriptural"

She has written a good talk - we had to trim it by about 40 seconds, and it came in at 4.56 minutes.

I just hope I will be OK on Thursday.  I am still feeling quite sick as I had a bit of a do (right leg) on Monday and had to take some anti-inflammatories and painkillers.  

Its another beautiful summer day.  So hot there are thunderstorms on the way.  Post-haircut, I was out on the balcony doing my studying - me and the geraniums basking in the sun.   The Captain is off transecting butterflies (in the numerical, not the scalpel sense!).  He has requested a carrot cake for his packed lunches, so I must go and get some carrots.

No comments:

Post a Comment