Wednesday 25 September 2019

Moons and Parrots

Arundel WWT from the Scrape Hide 
Monday morning was spent shopping for Jacks and us.   We had a veggie minestrone soup (half home-made half Waitrose) for lunch, plus yoghourt, and then Captain Butterfly watched the Rugby. So he was a happy lad.  Six weeks of it I believe.  During which he will either be Over the Moon, or As Sick as a Parrot (or am I thinking of football?)

And why Sick as a Parrot...?  Are parrots known for being sick, poor little souls. 

Anyway, I have been feeling as tired as a football recently - but a couple of good nights sleep has helped. I hope to get out on the Field Service this week...  its not something I find at all easy but I can't deny its importance.   Lives, many many lives, are at stake.

Yet on Tuesday I failed to get to the Field Service Group - pouring rain. After 25 years of living in a desert, I am not used to driving in heavy rain.   But it cleared up in the afternoon and Captain B and his missus (me) went to Arundel. We gave a sackload of books to the second hand bookshop there - and I came back with 2 Carter Dicksons. 

I will now have another go at my bookshelves and try to take a bag at a time to our local Charity Shops until I have reduced my library by half.   I am on borrowed time now - and don't want to leave too horrible a mess for others to sort.

After my mother died, we found she had been quietly going through everything. All her papers were sorted and catalogued - not a single one out of order. Will I be able to say the same?  Not so far.

Then as it was such a lovely September afternoon, we went to the Wetlands Trust, checked the Hides, had a walk. We haven't been for ages, and it was good to be back.  It was like a second home during my Knee troubles.  I plan to ask Col for a photo to head this blog - hopefully to convey the feeling of Autumn.  It is my favourite season. 
This morning - not much done - the eczema kept me awake - but I plan to go out on the Field Service this afternoon with one of the young Pioneer sisters.  So far the weather is holding, after a rainy start. In fact, the September sun is shining.

No comments:

Post a Comment