Sunday 19 August 2018

Goodbye Shaun - or, I hope, Au Revoir

We got back from Sheffield Thursday afternoon - 2 o'clock - after going up for Shaun's funeral.   We arrived at the bungalow on Monday, and we - the four of us and our flowers - got a taxi to the Grenoside Crematorium on Tuesday.

We were greatly hampered by the fact that the road outside Nute and Ken's is being tarmacked - and was closed off, along with many side roads.  We drove off in the morning to get the flowers and were reluctantly allowed off the road by a young Jobsworth who assured us we would not be let back in.

Nute managed to find the guy in charge on the phone and got it sorted so that at least our taxi could get down to us.  So we - the Captain, Nute, Ken, me and a large bunch of yellow lilies - set off on time and arrived on time.

There was a good turnout of family and friends, which was a help to his brother Darren, who is so distraught that I didn't even recognise him when he came up to greet me until he spoke!   We will all have to keep a close eye on him. He will need a lot of support.

The family wrote the Eulogy and Penny delivered it clearly and steadily.  It was a fitting tribute to Shaun.  One of his brothers placed his favourite snooker queue by the coffin and then we left.

The family had organised a buffet at the local country pub, which was excellent.

Jeff - of The Most Exciting Wedding We Have Ever Been To fame - was there. We hadn't seen him since his wedding, but here he was, with children and grandchildren.

I learnt a lot about my nephew Shaun that I did not know before.  He was a fellow Countdown enthusiast - and very nearly made it on to the programme!    And I had no idea he was so knowledgeable about snooker. I knew he played regularly, but.   

I did know how kind and generous he was.  And I hope very much I will see him again when the time comes for the resurrection.

“Your dead will live. My corpses will rise up. Awake and shout joyfully, You residents in the dust! For your dew is as the dew of the morning, And the earth will let those powerless in death come to life." - Isaiah 26:19


Wednesday was a quiet day, for me.  I caught up with studying and emails, got a letter done to Aunt Jo, and lunched with Ken - who served us Kenburgers and peas and a Kencoffee afterwards. We sat and talked for a while, and then their gardener arrived.  We left very early on Thursday morning and had a good journey back.

Posted a letter to Aunt Jo yesterday to tell her about Shaun's funeral, and a card to Sami, congratulating her on her excellent exam results.  She will be going to Newcastle University, which is where Captain Butterfly met, all those eons ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment