Sunday 24 June 2018

Beyond the Gates - a significant day in Saudi Arabia

A fb post from a friend from Planet Expat said that for the first time she and the other ladies have been able to drive themselves beyond the Compound gates.  For the first time, women are allowed to drive.  A very significant day in Saudi Arabia. 

In my Expat days, I drove, but was only allowed to within the Aramco compound - our little expat town.  It had wonderful wide American roads, with an efficient grid system, and a 1950s level of traffic.  And there were no parking problems.

25 years of that did not prepare me for driving in the outside world - not even in our sleepy little seaside town.

Are more freedoms in store for the women of Saudi Arabia?  I hope so. And I hope they will use them well.

Our Creator, the God of Abraham, gave every one of us a choice - to obey Him or not.   But if we seek and find our Creator, learn his law, and then do our imperfect best to follow it, we can be so happy even now - and with more happiness than we can probably imagine in the restored earthly Paradise that is so close.

I was driving yesterday, driving Miss Jean.  But the road we were supposed to be working on had no parking spaces and, as a team, we can't walk very far, so we did some calls instead.

I found Emma at home!   Very rare. And we had an interesting chat, Jean making some valuable contributions.

Jackie came for supper yesterday - bravely toiling up our stairs - lifts still out - awaiting a vital part that is being manufactured in Holland (?  we can't understand it either).    I had Cooksed it, with an old favourite, Thai Green Chicken curry, with rice, veggie spring rolls, and a veggie medley; followed by a Kelly's Eton Mess ice-cream, and a cheeseboard.

I am still in trouble with this allergy thing - itching all over and will probably have to see the doc this week... I already have one medical appointment for a blood test...   but I guess I am on borrowed time... under the threescore years and ten rule.  And I am feeling more and more guilty about what I am costing the poor battered old Health Service.

How short our lives are now. 


No comments:

Post a Comment