Friday 28 April 2017

A Visit from a Movie Star- and an Orchid from Captain B

Green-winged Orchid, Anacamptis morio
On Wednesday we entertained a movie star and her husband!   Fish and chips at the Arun View and ice cream and coffee back here.

Dave and Maggie were with us on Planet Expat for many years, and retired to the Far East early - a long time ago.  But we keep in touch and they come and see us when they are in the UK.   Maggie, who worked in our local hospital in Expat World, has a new career.  She began by featuring in rock videos, and in adverts and suchlike.  Then both she and Dave were bit part players in a Nicole Kidman movie about the fall of Singapore.

And now she has a supporting actress role in a movie - and has even won an award.    Sadly I can't link to it, as Captain Butterfly showed me the trailer which is on Youtube, and it seems to be what they call a Slasher movie... aaarrgghh - which is probably pretty much the dialogue, given the picture of Maggie screaming away (very competently) on the poster.

But if I ever had wanted to watch Slasher movies - and I never did - then as a JW I certainly can't watch them, or encourage others to.

Psalm 11:5 tells us that: "Jehovah examines the righteous one as well as the wicked one; He hates anyone who loves violence."

And sadly so many movies these days are encouraging us to love - to be entertained by - the things that God hates.

Anyway, I hope that Maggie's next movie is one I can link to - and watch. That would be wonderful.

But on the doubleplusgood side, we would all say that retirement can be a wonderful time. We keep ourselves busy - and mostly happy (its mainly the health issues connected with ageing that are the problem) - and Maggie now has a career in showbiz.

And I have found myself doing the most important work of my life in retirement.

I hope to be doing a bit this morning as one of my neighbours is coming round for a cup of tea and to collect her magazine.  I usually go to her, but thought I should entertain her this time.   And I have one more route call to do before the end of the month, so am catching up, as much as one ever does.

No comments:

Post a Comment