Friday 9 September 2016

A Light Shining in a Dark Place

We were studying Psalm 119 at the meeting at the Kingdom Hall last night.   Among all its gems of wisdom, it contains these words:

"Your word is a lamp to my foot, And a light for my path."

Many years ago, Captain's Butterfly's Aunt Thelma gave him a Revised Standard Bible - and she had written those words on the flyleaf.  As I remember them, they were: "Your word is a lamp to my foot, and a light for my roadway".

I often thought about them.   At the time, I never considered the Bible to be the Inspired word of God, I wasn't even sure there was a God - or at least not one who cared about us.  I could see, vaguely, that there had to be Something, some First Cause.    But we were all to believe that Genesis was a "creation myth" back then.

It wasn't for many years that the beauty of an Autumn afternoon in my Northern hometown told me, as clearly as if it had spoken, of its Grand Creator.

But those words resonated - and stayed with me down the years,   The need for guidance in a dark dark place - I looked for it in many different places..  But I only found it when I began my Bible study with the Jehovah's Witnesses who knocked at my door all those years ago.

That twenty minute visit changed my life - immeasurably for the better.


The Roger is stranded in London at the moment still trying to get his papers done and dusted. The rule change seems to have caught everyone by surprise.   So he will be staying here while we are away, and will probably be here to welcome us back with a nice cup of tea - and to hear all about our adventures in the Cream Tea Cafes of Devon.


No comments:

Post a Comment