Monday 10 February 2014

The Troll Wall

Dead and dying puffins are being found on the South Coast. They shouldn't be here, so I suppose it is something to do with the strange winter weather we are having.   It has been the wettest winter since records began - and with more to come.   At first I was excited to think we might see a puffin on our beach - one of the most charming of birds - but not when I realised that it would mean it was in deep trouble if so.

The sea is much calmer at the moment, and its not raining.  Its not raining!   But we are assured it soon will be again.  The news is full of the flooding which is now hitting the Home Counties hard.

We had a lovely evening at Jacks, of course. She had made us chicken kiev, which I love, with cauliflower cheese, which I also love.  Followed by cheese, including a creamy goats cheese for me, and a carrot cake - with ice cream.

A lovely meeting yesterday, and Maggie and I worked out that we won't see each other for a week as I can't make it on Thursday night (my chauffeur's night off) and she can't make it on Sunday - family visiting. Neither of us can travel at the moment - though it doesn't seem so long ago that we were both driving.

I have just read "Fiva" by Gordon Stainforth.  Wow!  If you want a good absorbing read for a journey, take this with you.  Its a true story of how two brothers went to climb the fearsome Troll Wall in Norway, back in 1969.Thinking it would be a much easier climb than it was, they go unprepared and...  well, read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment