Sunday 3 April 2022

The Return of the Moth Season



The Moths are returning to our balcony and to the Moth Trap hotel. The bedding (egg boxes) is freshly made up, and breakfast would be served if they would only let me know what they would like - full English? Fruit and yogurt?  The above photo is of a Clouded Drab, one of our guests on Tuesday night.

Clouded Drab seems an uninspiring name for such an exquisite and subtle creation.  I am trying to think of a better, more appropriate one - maybe it could be called the "Misty Morning Moth"?  Or should it have "Lace" somewhere in its name? 

There was snow in the North on the last day of March. As the old rhyme says: "The March wind doth blow, and we shall have snow, and what will poor Robin do then, poor thing."  So I hope all the birds sensed the coming cold and held back a bit courtship-wise.  The animal creation, so innocent in this disaster that has befallen us, the children of Adam, suffer so much from it, and cope so valiantly.

We, Jehovah's Witnesses, return to our meetings at the Kingdom Halls today. I don't think that I will be going until after my next vax though.  It seems that getting Covid is a bit like getting flu now. But, as the veteran of at least one pulmonary embolism, I am not keen on getting flu either.  We can still attend in Zoom.  And we will not yet be resuming the door to door preaching work. But we are all doing what we can to spread the good news of the Kingdom of God in other ways.  It is so urgent.  

Can you imagine how Noah and his family warned and warned and warned?  Even though, in the end, nobody listened seriously enough to actually get on the Ark.

Genesis speaks of the moment when the door to the Ark closed.  Genesis 7:16 says that after Noah, his family and all the animals entered the Ark, "Jehovah shut the door behind them".


I had a strange dream on Friday night. I was back at Dhahran airport  the old one, not the smart new one. I was flying back to the UK. And I found myself alone at the airport with no passport, no exit visa, no airline ticket and no mobile phone.  What could I do?  I found a Brit lady working there who said she would help, but as we wandered round the airport together, she didn't. I kept trying to think of ways I could get back to Col in our expat town, with no money for a taxi. And no phone to call him with.  Then the oddness of it all began to get through to me. After all it is many many years since I was at Dhahran old airport...

And suddenly I asked myself "Could I be dreaming?"  I looked round, everything seemed solid and it made sense (it didn't of course but it seemed to).  So I asked the lady who said she would help but wasn't helping: "Are you just a dream?"  Of course not she said and clasped my hand.  It felt warm and solid. Then I had a brainwave. And I looked right into her face. It was a rag doll's face, with plain black buttons for eyes. So I knew I was dreaming after all - and I woke up on the instant with a wonderful sense of relief to find myself safe at home in my own bed, not stranded in some airport, miles from home.

It has made me think of the relief of finding ourselves in the Paradise earth, after the nightmare of this current system of things has gone for good.  I hope we will all be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment