Wednesday 30 March 2022

The Oscar Strikes Back

On Monday morning the Oscar ceremony was making headline news as, apparently, one actor hit another actor onstage.  As I do not care for  these innumerable ceremonies in which Showbiz tells itself how wonderful it is and awards itself prizes, I wasn't watching.  But I was surprised to note this headline from Monday's online Guardian: 

"‘Violence isn’t OK’: Hollywood reacts to Will Smith slapping Chris Rock"

What?!?!?!    Isn't graphic depiction of violence part of the very essence of its movies?   Which is one reason why I try to avoid Hollywood's movies as well as its self-congratulations.

Psalm 11:5 says: "Jehovah examines the righteous one as well as the wicked one.  He hates anyone who loves violence." 

Isn't Hollywood training us to be entertained by, to love, violence, which our Creator hates?  And not just Hollywood to be fair. I was on the sofa reading while the Captain watched "Peaky Blinders". It was violent enough just hearing it, never mind watching it.

On Tuesday morning the headlines were telling us that the actor who slapped the other actor has apologised saying that "violence in all its forms is poisonous and destructive".   

Good for him. So can we now expect an apology from Hollywood for the violence in all its forms it has been promoting as entertainment for so many years?    I won't be holding my breath while I'm waiting.

The horrors of the Russian invasion of the Ukraine continue, as does the suffering of the Yemeni people and so many others, including my faithful Russian brothers and sisters.  As does the Covid pandemic, but in a minor key now.  Though I believe it is still killing people, especially where vaccination rates are low.  And Jean, Jackie and I continue to lament the pains and indignities of old age in our phone chats - and usually manage to cheer each other up. And we are still being cautious, Covid-wise.

I wish everyone could know of the coming of the loving and perfect Kingdom of God - the Kingdom preaching work gets more urgent by the day. Yet I did not do very much of it yesterday.  I hope to do better today, as I usually spend Wednesday morning in the field service with my congregation siblings. 

And the Captain and I continue with our routine of Zoom meetings - congregation and family, metal detecting, and veggie soup lunches in front of Bargain Hunt ("They've paid too much for that" is usually a safe comment). And I am very grateful that is so. But we are all going to be hit by the coming - already arrived? - economic storm.  And hit by all the increasing problems that will bring as the rich get even richer and the poor get even poorer.  










No comments:

Post a Comment