Sunday 24 April 2022

Painkiller Knights (Flare ups)

Do you see what I did there?  In my blog title?    Both us Knights were up in the early hours of Friday night taking painkillers. But I did not know we were both in trouble until Col's alarm clock went off - 4:a.m. by the way - and he asked me in a grim sort of voice where my extra strong painkillers were.

I don't know when the Captain got up to take his anti-imflammatory, but I was up at about 1.00 in the morning taking my own meds.  Just the usual.   I reserve my strong ones for the serious flare-up emergency - this was painful enough to wake me - right ankle and left arm (red, blistered and swollen) - but not enough to warrant a dose of the Fearsome One.  Col didn't take one in the end, but he took them with him just in case and he hobbled off quite cheerfully and very early to journey far into the lost kingdom of Hampshire - there (hopefully) to find treasure.  He was picking up Jim en route, so I have put an order in for more eggs  - which Jim grows.

And he got eggs - but no treasure.

In between Col waking me for painkillers and his leaving I managed to get back to sleep and treat myself to an anxiety dream. I was at a Zoom meeting and i had a part in the school. I spoke up, then stopped realising the elder in charge hadn't called on me yet. feeling embarrassed that I had spoken before I should have.  Then, when he did call on me, I realised that not only had I lost my script but I could not even remember the first thing about it, nor who my householder was. I was leafing frantically through the leaves of a glossy magazine, which seemed to be about interior design, and which, apparently, would also contain my script.  I couldn't find any such thing - not surprising really, and I became conscious that there would be a terrible silence as everyone waited for me to speak. I had to apologise and ask if the next part could go ahead while I found my script. And then I woke up as Col came in to say he was leaving for the Badlands of Hampshire, and realised there was no script to find.   Which was such a relief.

I started the day exhausted though, worn to a frazzle.  We both slept better last night - the pain woke me a couple of times, but I could always get back to sleep.

Col is not metal detecting this Sunday.  HE IS NOT METAL DETECTING THIS SUNDAY!   But he does have two rugby matches to watch this afternoon, so that is a consolation.

I have the Zoom meeting - public talk and study Watchtower. And I am hoping for some comforting teaching, as the pain is wearing me down.  The Biblical warning that, at the moment, "death rules as king over us", is looming rather large. So I need to remember that soon this imperfection and death will be no more.

Here is the promise, at Revelation 21:3,4:

  • "With that I heard a loud voice from the throne say: “Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and he will reside with them, and they will be his people. And God himself will be with them. And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore.+ The former things have passed away.” 


Doesn't that promise encapsulate everything we could want, and everything that a loving Creator would want for us?


No comments:

Post a Comment