Friday 15 April 2022

The Memorial



I made the bread for the Memorial first thing, and it does look rather good, though I say it myself. If my Smartphone wasn't completely baffling me, there would be a picture of it heading this blog.

What also baffles me is what the News is calling Partygate. With all there is to be upset about in the world, whether or not some of our rulers went to a party during the Covid lockdown is not making it on to my list of Things To Be Upset About.  Though I realise that according to the Media it is supposed to.  What baffles me about it is why anyone would want to go to a party ever, let alone when they have Lockdown as the perfect excuse not to go.

We had an Early Grey Moth in the trap/hotel on Thursday morning.  I would quite like to find an Earl Grey Tea Moth staying overnight, if there is such a thing. However, I would not want a Fifty Shades of Grey Moth turning up.  We run a respectable hotel!

A very dramatic day yesterday due to an old friend suddenly becoming very ill indeed. But hopefully all is now sorted and she is safe in hospital.  I could do nothing but take her phone calls and let her talk. But the elders rallied round.

As we are now, in our damaged and dying condition, old age is a terrible thing.  Our lives are so short.  It is on us before we know it. My friend, in her nineties, has been saying recently how much she wants to stay around and see what happens next.  And I was really interested to read this in Poem for the Day, One, about Walter de la Mare.  He is a poet I have always loved. 

Under his poem Good-bye, this commentary appears:

"De la Mare approached death with great serenity. "My days are getting shorter," he told Joyce Grenfell. "But there is more and more magic. More than in all poetry. Everything is increasingly wonderful and beautiful.""

Yes.  That is true.  Everything, the whole creation, is so lovely and it seems to get more wonderful and precious the longer we live in it.

And it is because of the sacrificial death of Jesus Christ, that millions of us will be memorialising this evening,  that one day, during the Thousand Years, Walter de la Mare will be awoken from the dreamless sleep of death, to see this lovely earth again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment