Sunday 9 October 2022

A Sad Milestone



For the first time, on Friday night, Col went to a concert on his own. We have been to so many concerts over the years, all over the world. We saw Georgie Fame in Saudi, Brian Ferry in Bahrain, Tosca in Rome, at the Caracoram Baths, Carmen in Sydney (at the Opera House, obviously). And our first date, all those years ago, was at a Manitas de Plata concert in Newcastle.

The photo is one Col took of the Opera house in 2008.

And now he is at a Sari Schorr concert.  On his own.  I can no longer cope with getting in and out of the seats at concerts.  I feel really sad.

You don't think when you are young what old age will be like. After all, you are young. There are old people in the world, but they have nothing to do with you. A different breed.

And then... one day...  Our lives are so short now - the flight of the sparrow through the lighted Mead Hall, and then back to the dark.

However I also have to say that retirement has been lovely so far - despite health issues.  The older I get the more wonderful and interesting life seems.  And of course I hope so much that both Col and I, and all those we love, will be living on this wonderful planet forever, under very different circumstances of course.

Revelation puts it perfectly:

"With that I heard a loud voice from the throne say: “Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and he will reside with them, and they will be his people. And God himself will be with them. And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.”


Can we believe this, that soon all causes for suffering will be gone and life will be full of joy?  Is it too good to be true?   Jehovah goes on to reassure us with these words:  "And the One seated on the throne said: “Look! I am making all things new.” Also he says: “Write, for these words are faithful and true.”"


Faithful and true.

Revelation 21:3-5


Saturday was a bit of a nothing day. I failed to get out on the field service door to door work - I was a bit shattered by the Physio session on Friday. I am being moved onto a weekly session now - in an attempt to support my crumbling spine with some Ms Universe musculature.  No sign of it yet, but I guess I have to keep trying.  So I puffed and panted through my gentle exercise routine. And I did my Watchtower study for Sunday.  


It was the meeting at the Hall this morning, and Col came back early this afternoon, which was a nice surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment