Saturday 15 August 2020

My Part in the Ministry School

This was my part in the Ministry School on Thursday night:

My brief was:   Initial Call: (3 min. or less) Begin with the sample conversation. Offer a publication from our Teaching Toolbox. (th study 3)

My material was:
Question:  Where can we find help to deal with grief?
Scripture:  2 Corinthians 1:3,4
Link:  What happens to someone who dies?

And the point of counsel I was working on was:  Use of questions.

And I wanted to make it compatible with the way we currently witness - that is to say, not door to door at the moment.


Sue (holding mobile phone to ear):  Hello. I would like to book a hair appointment for tomorrow morning if possible.

Dee:  Yes, Would 9 a.m. be OK for you?

Sue: Thanks.  Its Sue Knight.  I come in regularly.

Dee:   Oh hello - I remember you. You are the Jehovah's Witness. We had quite an interesting talk about it the last time you were here.

Sue:  Yes, that's me. I remember our talk.

Dee:   I was thinking of you only the other day, wishing I had your faith really. One of my clients broke down when I asked about her family. I hadn't seen her for ages of course and It turns out she has just lost her sister - a twin. They were close. It was very sudden, her heart apparently.  It has been such a shock.

Sue:  No!  Poor poor lady.

Daphne.  Yes I just didn't know what to say to her.  I let her tell me all about it and gave her a cup of tea but I wish I had had some hope to give. But I don't have a faith.

Sue:  Do you know, I think by letting her pour her heart out to you and just listening, you probably helped her a lot.  But comfort is such a good word here. I am thinking of a beautiful scripture - do you have time for me to read it to you?

Dee:  Yes - my next client's not here yet.

Sue:  Reads 2 Corinthians 1:3, 4: "Praised be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of tender mercies and the God of all comfort,  who comforts us in all our trials so that we may be able to comfort others in any sort of trial with the comfort that we receive from God."
Do you notice what it says about Jehovah, Jesus' Father?  Does it say he can sometimes offer comfort?

Dee:  No. It does say he can comfort us in all our trials.

Sue. Yes, he is the God of ALL comfort.  And do you see what it goes on to say about comforting others?

Dee.  Yes, it says that God can make us able to comfort them too.

Sue.  Exactly!  Because when we understand where the dead are, and what the hope for them is... But listen I mustn't keep you any more now, as you are working, but could we talk some more about what the Bible really says about this tomorrow morning?  And I could also bring you in a small leaflet: "Can the dead really live again?"  It will help you to see why Jehovah can truly be called "the God of all comfort". You might find something in it you would like to share with your client too, if it seems appropriate..


I am not feeling too wonderful - to put it mildly - but I managed to negotiate something called Twist and join the virtual Fantasticon that my young publisher was holding today.  I hope to join it again tomorrow afternoon, after the morning meeting.   

Does this mean I am now a Twister?

It is the finals of the Snooker in Sheffield this week. The semi-finals were amazing: Kyren Wilson v Anthony McGill; and the two giants O'Sullivan and Selby going head to head.   Each match was settled in the 35th frame, pretty much down to the black!

The final - O'Sullivan v Wilson - is going on now - and I don't see how it can come up to the excitement of the semis.  But who knows?


No comments:

Post a Comment