Friday 28 February 2020

How Worried Should We Be?

Watching the News, I am minded of the Betty McDonald title "The Plague and I" - about her encouter with TB - which was and is a very infectious disease.  Coronavirus is now headline News as it begins its march around the world.  So how worried should we be?

It seems it is already having a powerful economic effect, which is going to impact us all, especially the poorest.  And I know that people like myself, along with the very old and very young are vulnerable - as we are to the different flu viruses that seem to sweep through every year.  And of course we are not vaccinated against this one.   I guess the next few weeks will tell us just how bad it is likely to be.

In the meantime, Captain Detectorist's alarm clock went off about 5.30 yesterday morning...  and he disappeared into the Hampshire wilderness clutching his metal detector and his box of sandwiches.  It was raining quite hard, and I felt very tired, and did not want to go out on the field service - but I read the Daily Scripture, and my conscience smote me.  And I went.

This is what it said: 


Thursday, February 27


If you observe my commandments, you will remain in my love.​—John 15:10.
Jesus told his disciples not only to be in his love but to “remain in [his] love.” Why? Because living as a true disciple of Christ year after year calls for endurance. Jesus stressed the need for endurance by using forms of the word “remain” over and over in the brief passage recorded at John 15:4-10. How do we show that we want to remain in Christ’s love and keep his approval? By observing Jesus’ commandments. Simply put, Jesus tells us, ‘Be obedient to me.’ Yet, Jesus only asked us to do what he himself did, for he added: “Just as I have observed the commandments of the Father and remain in his love.” Jesus sets the example. (John 13:15) By carrying out Jesus’ command to go and preach, we too show our love for God because Jesus’ commandments reflect his Father’s thinking. (Matt. 17:5; John 8:28) In response to our expression of love, Jehovah and Jesus keep us in their love.


And this is the command Jesus left for all his followers:   
"Jesus approached and spoke to them, saying: “All authority has been given me in heaven and on the earth. Go, therefore, and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit,  teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded you. And look! I am with you all the days until the conclusion of the system of things.”" - Matthew 28:18-20
The present wicked system of things on the earth has not ended yet. That command still stands, and the Kingdom preaching work is so vital and urgent.
And I had a lovely morning with two of my siblings who took me with them on return visits.  It was lovely not to be the one driving.   Later I got some washing, ironing and a bit of light dusting done - plus my studies - and of course the Captain's tea - chicken veggie soup.  He brought us back a trifle each and a bunch of lovely tulips for moi.

No comments:

Post a Comment