Monday 30 December 2019

A Pebbly New World

Endcliffe Park 
Saturday afternoon I discovered a pebbly new world round the back of the Kingdom Hall. We were having a training afternoon, with one of the brothers down from HQ teaching us the new Inspection and Maintenance programme for Kingdom Halls worldwide.  At one point we were divided into 6 groups and us in the AirCon maintenance group all trooped round the back of the Hall to inspect the air vents.

I had never been round there before.  I suspect I may not be of the stuff of which great explorers are made.

Anyway, it was all beautifully organised, as always. And will be very effective.  But how much use Jean and I will be in the Inspection teams I don't know, as our eyes are not what they were.  Frankly, nothing is what it was. But who knows, we may find a way to help.

I was very tired though and it was hard to concentrate.  Everything seemed to catch up with me that afternoon and I just wanted to stay on the sofa and sleep, but I am very glad I didn't.  It was a lovely and comforting reminder of how beautifully things will be organised when the Kingdom of God is ruling over the earth.

We had travelled back on the Friday, after a hectic couple of weeks oop North. Emotionally hectic too.  It was a difficult journey, motorways at log jam and on one of the smaller roads a 3 car pile up held us up for a long time, while police cars and an ambulance tried to make their way through.  I just hope no-one was killed, or too badly injured.  But what an uncertain and frightening world it is.

We had a quiet Boxing Day. Col and I took Doris out for her morning walk in Endcliffe Park. And I was touched that she kept waiting patiently for me as I hobbled along. So perhaps it was more a case of Col and Doris taking me out for my walk?  Everything was wet, dank and muddy. And not nearly as cold as it should be this tme of year.   Grateful for no ice though! .
Endcliffe Park
The 25th - the day itself - went off well, but was very tiring. Nute produced a turkey dinner with all the trimmngs you can imagine for 11 of us. And the little granddaughters seemed to have a wonderful time. Captain B started them off on "I spy" and that was a big and ongoing success.  I am hoping we might try the pencil and paper game Consequences the next time we get together.

Jacks came round for supper on Saturday night - fish and chips (or in my case, fish sans chips) - we shopped for her and for us this morning - and tomorrow I hope to be out on the preaching work with Jean. So we are getting back into our routine.

In a couple of days it will be 2020...  these milleniums don't last the way they used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment