Saturday 6 April 2019

The Remembrance of Things Past

I was jolted into remembering last year when we were struck by lightning - our block of flats, not us personally! - as it has happened again,  Our lifts are out - and some of the garage doors were hit.  Not ours this time - and not our computer or tv either thank goodness.

But we have no idea when the lifts will return.

And then, on Thursday I was out with my siblings on the Field Service, on a bitterly cold morning, when we were invited in by a couple from the Middle East, refugees I think. They had little English. There was a friend, an English lady, with them, The eldest son was in school and apparently learning the language fast.  Children are little sponges for soaking up language.

Anyway, they insisted we come in, get warm, and they made us each a cup of piping hot black coffee - very strong and flavoured with cardamom.   That took me right back to my expat years.  I could buy Cardamom tea at the Dhahran Shopping Centre - in my early expat days. And it was lovely.

The visiting lady was an ex-expat too who had also lived and worked in Saudi. We both agreed that the coffee took us right back there.  We hope she is going to come to the Memorial of Jesus' death on the 19th.

We do hope to call on them again.

Anyway, such a lovely warm welcome.   And I did nearly two hours overall - which for me these days, is good.

Friday I drove Jean to her doctor's appointment. The GP was great - the real old-fashioned kind - and it was a very reassuring visit.  We then did 15 minutes on the work - two of my calls, which were near to the surgery. Then back to Jean's for a tea and a chat, and I went off for my own GP appointment...

I think we are both feeling the weight of the Bible's warning that, at the moment, "death reigns as king over us". 

Jean and I had an interesting morning on the doors today, and Jacks comes for supper tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment