Tuesday 18 December 2018

Ranulph Fiennes is "Cold"

At the moment I am reading Ranulph Fiennes book "Cold' - a sort of compendium of his Arctic and Antarctic adventures - and I came across this little verse I thought I would share.  It is written by his friend Wally Herbert, to wish him well on the next stage of the cold adventure, in the Arctic, where there are polar bears.

With my very best wishes for the final dawn
I send tips to help win the fight:
Beware of the calm that follows the storm
And the floes that go bump in the night.

Never trust ice that appears to be dead,
And if you want peace of mind,
Steer well clear of the bear up ahead
And cover that bear behind.

Wise advice - for those Arctic regions, and for those nether regions.

I enjoy reading about these things as I am so unadventurous myself, and am just exactly the sort of person you would not want along on such an expedition.  So its the only way I am going to get there - this side of Armageddon.  IF I am on the earth afterwards, then who knows?

Saturday Jean and I did over two hours on the ministry - very good for us in our tottery state.  And it was the meeting Sunday.  Other than that a very quiet weekend.  A Saturday night in sharing fish and chips and watching the final of Strictly Come Dancing.    As perfect as a Saturday night can presently get.

Saturday nights in the restored earthly paradise.... who knows?  But I hope we are all there to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment