Tuesday 4 September 2018

The Sadness of Fish and Chips

Kingfisher, Alcedo atthis
It feels like Autumn now - which I love, my favourite season.  Its warm and sunny, but definitely Autumny.  I am feeling even more tired than usual, as Himself was away for the weekend at a metal detectorist rally in Wiltshire.   I don't sleep much when the Captain isn't here.

He took us to the Wetland Trust yesterday afternoon - it seems ages since I was there- partly because the summer was so HOT, and partly because I don't usually want to go in the school holidays.  Its lovely that so many do take their children there, but I would rather visit when its quieter.   We went so he could get another video of the Kingfisher. And we got it.  We had barely arrived at the Hide and got the camera set up when the Kingfisher arrived too, landed on his fishing post, posed beautifully (what a profile!),  stared around for a few minutes, dived in, and caught a fish. All at something approaching the speed of sound.  But the camera caught it.

The video is in this blogpost if you want to see nature "red in tooth and claw".
https://colinknight.blogspot.com/2018/09/kingfishers-feeding-at-arundel-wwt.html

Poor poor little fish.  Yet we were planning to get fish and chips on the way home. So what can I say?  At least that Kingfisher caught his own fish and its end was swift.

Jean and I were out on the door to door preaching work this morning - and we were wondering about spiders and their webs. When the earth is restored to Paradise - when the harmony of Eden is restored earthwide - will spiders still catch flies in their webs, or will they prove to have another use altogether?

Lets hope we are all there to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment