Friday 1 November 2013

A Rainy Autumn Day

Raining yesterday, Captain Butterfly was not able to get out into the countryside and photograph things...  aargh.  Trapped indoors with a bear with a sore head.  Though I must admit it was very nice to have him here all day, working away at the next computer. And he is busy de-frosting the freezer at the moment. What a hero! He did get an outing in the afternoon as I gave the poor guy a vast shopping list.

Its overcast this morning, its been raining, and will apparently be pouring down tomorrow.  The sky is full of clouds, dark grey at the horizon and the Channel is such a pale blue its almost white. It all looks lovely.

The gallant Captain chauffered me door to door to the Kingdom Hall for the meeting last night. We - the congregations world wide - started a new study - one of the brochures:"Who is doing God's will today?", and we are going through the Christian Greek Scriptures once again, book by book.   I wish I had thought to note where I started all those years ago, as I would know how many times I have read the complete Bible.

I never read it through even once in my Catholic Convent years.  I can see why now, as had we read this:    “You must not make for yourself a carved image or a form like anything that is in the heavens above or that is on the earth underneath or that is in the waters under the earth.  You must not bow down to them nor be induced to serve them....", wouldn't our religion - the Catholicism of the Fifties (I cannot speak for the Catholicism of Now) - have come to pieces in our hands?   It was very statue-based. We prayed to That Statue for this, and to This Statue for that.

Well, I am more grateful than I know how to say that the God of Abraham sent his witnesses to my door. And feel bad that I still can't go door to door myself. Grateful I can get to the meetings though. I now manage to stand for the opening song and prayer, and for the song in the middle, but I have to stay seated for the closing song and prayer.  And when my recovery seems slow and I get depressed I must remember that before the op,  I wasn't able to stand at all during the meetings, and wasn't even able to make it for the last pre-op week.  So I need to note whatever progress I make.

As I hobbled on crutches into the Hall last night, one of my brothers said: "You are hurtling along now!"   I glowed with pride.  So watch out Usain Bolt, your gold medal reign may soon be over (as long as I can persuade the surgeon to install the kneejet engines during my next op).

No comments:

Post a Comment