Saturday 25 June 2011

How did Helicopters Evolve?

Its Armed Forces Day and we have been watching a Royal Navy helicopter on the green outside our flat.  Us - and every small boy in town.  It was impressive - especially when it came some feet off the ground and just stayed there.

It then set off down the coast - without strafing us - and came back and did some appalling things over the sea.  It seemed to fly straight down into the sea, then roared straight up again - just in time.  Brilliant flying.

What an amazing machine it was - a marvel of engineering and design.

And yet when we see a dragonfly - infinitely more beautiful and complex - we are told to believe that it just evolved.

Jean and I talked about the complexity and the beauty of the creation this morning to a gentleman we met on the doors.  He did take a Creation brochure and assured us he would read it, although he said he did not want us to call back.

I lost my field service group this morning!  Or rather I couldn't find them.  We were meeting at a different house and I couldn't find it.  So I decided to do some return visits and for some strange reason turned down a road I usually avoid - too many parked cars - and found my group.    They were working that road, so I joined up with Jean and off we went.

We went up to London on Thursday to meet Bob and Judy - friends from our University days - and we lunched at The Royal Albert Hall.  A first.  Nice that you can go on having firsts, even when you are retired.

It was a lovely summer day - blue sky, scudding white clouds, big trees in their full green, girls in their summer dresses.  And of course yet another generation of young girls to be waitresses in London's various coffee bars and cafes.   I waited myself in my time.

Jackie came round for supper yesterday.  I cooked that reliable chile beef recipe that I learnt many years ago in a Tex Mex Cookery class in Expatland.   And we had it with small small things (yoghurt, grated cheese, corn salad).  I ought to start making cornbread again.   And of course strawberrries and cream for afters.

Its the Concert tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment