Friday 1 January 2010

A new day, a new year

I wrote this poem many years ago - in our travelling years. The new year arrived while we were flying between Hong Kong and Oz, and I woke up to a wonderfully strange cloud formation and the sun just beginning to light up the horizon.


A New Day, A New Year
by me

The morning fires burn
Behind the long line of the horizon
Cloud covers come off
Grey flocks fold in sheets
All flat and squashed
Stars have fled West
Us passengers wake cross
To airline tea
And airline toast.

And here is another one from my poetry writing days - about a new year in my Northern hometown.

A JANUARY WASHDAY IN SHEFFIELD
by me

Black trees rattle in the icy wind
Through gale-smashed panes the greenhouse sings
Tights, shirts, tea-towels, bras and knicks
Dance to welcome eighty-six!

How long ago that was...

I don't know what i would write about this new year, if I still wrote poems.

What rhymes with 'bad cold'?

I have put up the new calendars, started my new diary, and read the wonderful new introduction to 'Examining the Scriptures Daily' for 2010.

Our Yeartext is from the perfect description of love in 1 Corinthians 13 - specifically verses 7 and 8: "Love endures all things. Love never fails."

We are being reminded to hold fast to Christian principles and Christian teaching in the face of all that 'the world' (and our own imperfect natures) can and will throw at us this year.

That is the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment