Sunday 30 January 2022

Don't Worry about the Moon

The world gets stranger and stranger - as I suppose we should expect as the current wicked system of things on the earth comes closer to its end.  Terrible terrible things are happening worldwide, but the headlines are all about our PM being accused of having held parties during lockdown.   I can' t bring myself to care if he did or if he didn't. It puzzles me why anyone ever wants to have a party anyway, especially when they have lockdown as the perfect excuse for not having one.  But then I am a solitary unsociable soul by nature.

Bea emailed to say she had finished Disraeli Hall and had enjoyed it. And - spoiler alert - she liked that I gave my heroine a very hopeful ending.  So that was a Saturday doubleplusgood, along with the field service, in Zoom.  I am helping to place a some magazines a sister brought round, so need to send slightly different letters with them.  The information in them is so valuable, so golden.  God's word - unlike human wisdom - never goes out of date.

You do not need to go out to a far distant field, with a metal detector, to find treasure.  The good news of the Kingdom of God, the pearl of great price, is coming to your doors, freely.

There was a big storm blowing in the North yesterday.  Dougal (exPlanetExpat, now in Scotland) reported that their power was out. And one poor lady has been killed by a falling tree...  Everything here was calm, and very dark last night, no sign of a storm being on its way. There was no moon visible.  I had hoped it might be making a path on the water, as that would have been a good introduction to this poem by Alison Brackenbury that I have loved for years. I don't think I have blogged it before.

But no moon walked on water or on square last night. Hopefully it is still up there though.


Outside the Circle, Alison Brackenbury

I worked through all your tricks, I slit the sleeves,

I tugged fine strings which joined the handkerchiefs.

The disappearing girl was always there

Crammed in compartments, false as her dyed hair.

I burned the cards you nicked with hidden signs.


Solid as smoke, the moon walks on the square.

Magician, can you call back half your loves?

Dust, the empty seats await you there.

Light, and the astonished flight of doves.



No comments:

Post a Comment