Thursday 6 January 2022

Cosmos

The Captain and I found, watched and enjoyed a Netflix movie called Cosmos. It has a small cast, the location is very tight to one car in one midnight forest, plus of course the night sky, and... you will have to watch it to find out.  It was gripping, and reminded us that it is all in the writing. Give actors a good script (and a good director) and its amazing what they can do.

We also watched Aliens on the telly last night. Again, of course.  Watchable, with some scary moments, but, I feel more could have been done scriptwise, and less specialeffectswise in that the more we see of the aliens, the less scary they are. I found myself wondering: How big was the cornflake packet THAT came out of?   They are better only glimpsed.  Also the thought of us arriving on an alien planet and doing our best to wipe out whatever life we find there is horribly reminiscent of what we have done on this planet.

It could have been called "Farewell to the Tasmanian Tiger", given how efficiently we wiped out those poor creatures.

Wednesday - Dentist - the thought of which blighted the previous days.  My next bout of dental surgery is now arranged for next week - so it has healed up OK after the last problem.  My routine check up and clean went OK, for which I do thank God.  

I was wondering about opting out, and settling for the "banned from every pub in town for fighting" look.  Is there any chance Kate Moss or equivalent might be about to make such a look fashionable?  Anyway, I wasn't given the chance.  The appointment was made for me there and then, and its hard to argue about anything when you have a mouthful of dental instruments.

Woke up this morning - after a bad night, severe pain in right leg, got up, took pain killers, after dreams about being lost at mysterious station (Mexborough?)  and trying to get home (to Sheffield, which hasn't been home for a long time), every time I went off to ask when the next train to Sheffield was due it would arrive and hurtle off without me (why do I do this to myself?) - anyway, I was going to say that we woke up to a heavy frost, though its sunny now.  I just hope that the roads are OK for Col, Jim and the Detectorists.

The human brain and its complex workings are an amazing thing, even at my advanced age.  Doesn't science now say that it looks as if the human brain was made to go on making connections for ever? Which is exactly in harmony with what Genesis says. Our first parents were made to live forever, not to die.  They would only die if they disobeyed their Creator's one command, thus cutting themselves (and us, their unborn children) off from their Creator, their Source of life.

But please think about the prospect that Jehovah is holding out to every one of Adam's damaged children - us.  He is offering us a return to the life and perfection our first parents so tragically threw away.  As the book of Revelation says:  

"The spirit and the bride keep on saying: ‘Come!’ . . . Let anyone thirsting come; let anyone that wishes take life’s water free.”​—REV. 22:17




No comments:

Post a Comment