Thursday 27 January 2022

A Bit of a Panic

I had a bit of a panic on Tuesday as my assigned householder rang to say she could not do it on Thursday.  After a bit of to-ing and fro-ing I found a kind volunteer. She has been off the school for a while and hopefully this might get her started again. It is a bit of a stressful business - especially with these Zoom cameras - even though its only 4 minutes.

The script below is what we just delivered this evening.  Nobly, Captain B has let me practise it on him, and it came out at three and a half minutes, which gave us a bit of leeway. We didn't have to rush, and we spent a long time today practising it.

I invited the family to join us via Zoom - and Pen turned up just in time!  It was very nice to see her there in her Zoom box.


Sue: Hello. Its Sue Knight. I hope I haven't rung at a bad time. I just wanted to ask if the brochure I sent you after our chat last week has arrived.

HH:  Oh, yes, it did come. I’m afraid I haven’t had time to look at it yet though.

Sue:  No problem. I know how busy you are at the moment.  But this brochure is designed as an introduction to a personal study of the Bible, so I would love to show you a very short video “Why study the Bible?” just to give you the incentive to read it. Can I send it through to your phone (if I can master the technology here)?

HH:  OK.   Yes. I have it - I’ll have a look now as you say its very short  (watches it). 

https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/request-a-visit/why-study-the-bible/

Well that WAS short and to the point, which I appreciated. And I know there are some very big questions when we have time to stop and think about them, but just for the moment my life is so hectic I feel I really need more help with the smaller short term ones.

Sue:  I do understand. We both know how much time and energy these health problems take, and you have that work going on with your house too. You have a lot to cope with and sometimes its hard to see the way through it all. And I do want you to know that help is available.  Do you have the brochure beside you?

HH: Yes I do.

Sue.  What do you think of the cover picture - of the man setting off on a journey? Does it look like he is going to be wandering aimlessly about the countryside, or does it look as if he is going somewhere.

HH:  Clearly he is going somewhere, there is a well marked path in front of him.

Sue:  Yes. And that is what the Bible is. It is a safe guide, one that not only leads us to the restored earthly paradise but will help us to cope with everything we have to deal with on the way - in the here and now.  Look, as you have the brochure there, could I ask you to turn to page 7 and read the second paragraph, under the heading “How does the Bible gives hope”.

HH:  "The Bible not only explains why the world is filled with problems but also shares the good news that these problems are temporary and will soon be gone. The Bible’s promises can “give you a future and a hope.” (Read Jeremiah 29:11, 12.) Those promises help us to cope with our present problems, to have a positive attitude, and to find lasting happiness."

Sue:  What especially appeals to you about that paragraph ?

HH:  Obviously when it says that all these problems are only temporary and they will soon be gone.   If I could be sure of that it would help so much.

Sue:  Yes. A good point. A real, sure hope makes all the difference.  Let me read you those loving words at Jer 29:11  “‘For I well know the thoughts that I am thinking toward you,’ declares Jehovah, ‘thoughts of peace, and not of calamity, to give you a future and a hope." That future and a hope, makes everything easier to deal with now.  And if you turn back to page 3 of this brochure, you will see that it discusses this question: How can the Bible help you?  If you would like I could ring you again and we could go through the points on that page together - as I think you will be as surprised as I was to find out how much practical help the Bible gives.

HH:  Yes. OK.  You can ring me at the weekend if you like. This time Saturday evening will be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment