Saturday 9 October 2021

Past my Sell-by Date

We have lots of extra Zooming as the C.O. is here.  And I was able to get a difficult letter of condolence, re the death of Rhi's sister, written during one of the field service sessions.  I decided that I really wanted to say something about the Biblical hope for the dead, which is immensely comforting.  These kinds of letters and cards are very hard to write, but i found it so much easier that I expected when I did it during the field service.  

Today - Thursday as I start this blog - I hope to devote the morning field service to replying to Bruce, the South African gentleman who received one of my letters, by a rather circuitous route.  

This is a month of medical appointments for me - spilling over into early November too.  It was Chiropody Friday morning.  I am past my sell-by date and need more maintenance by the day to keep me creaking along.  The Chiropodist was so young, and so kind and thoughtful. And we had quite a good chat while she was tackling my feet.  She too loves the Maldives.

Today Col's alarm clock went off at some unearthly hour - I hadn't slept well anyway - and he set off for the vast Hampshire prairies, for metal detecting purposes.   I had the field service in the morning, and I watched the October broadcast in the afternoon.  And I got a lot of dozing on the sofa in front of the telly done.

The News is dreadful really - food shortages and petrol shortages, caused in some measure by panic buying.  And apparently we may be facing a worldwide energy crisis.  Here in the UK some Eco warrior types are giving green issues a bad name by blocking motorways - and there was apparently a machete attack - machete! - in Richmond Park.  The Captain and I lived near Richmond Park when we were young.  It was lovely. But I feel I would not want to go there now.

How much we need the loving perfect rule of the Kingdom of God.  




No comments:

Post a Comment