Friday 15 October 2021

Autumn Leaves



It was fun to find myself crunching through piles of Autumn leaves when I did my little walk on Wednesday - to the post box and back...  and of course it reminded me of my childhood Autumns. I found a lovely fungi picture from the Captain's blog to provide an essence of Autumn.

Sheffield is a city of parks and woodlands and big trees, and we used to crunch through the leaves looking for conkers. I still feel excited when I see them, as if I have found a treasure.

Maybe I can find my poem about Sheffield and let it see the light of day here:

OCTOBER IN SHEFFIELD by me


Leaves so lately green lie on greener grass

On mossy stones the squirrels pass

To deeper shades of grey and green

Into woods where Winter waits

And breathing nearer shakes the trees

Now we start to feed the birds

The squirrel wears her Winter furs.


And now, in the Winter of my life,  I am trying to help others to find treasure, the pearl of great price that is the good news of the Kingdom of God:   “Again the Kingdom of the heavens is like a traveling merchant seeking fine pearls. Upon finding one pearl of high value, he went away and promptly sold all the things he had and bought it." - Matthew 13:45,46

This treasure was bought to my door, in Sheffield, over 30 years ago, by two elderly ladies (who were probably younger than I am now), with Bibles and Watchtower magazines.  And all I can do is to try my best to share it with others.






No comments:

Post a Comment