Sunday 24 October 2021

More Mushrooms - Waxcaps

 


An Autumn Haiku:

Autumn MoonlightMatsuo Basho

Autumn moonlight--
a worm digs silently
into the chestnut.

https://www.poemhunter.com/poems/autumn/


I would like to write a Haiku for Autumn about the roaring of the sea, and the low bright Autumn sunlight glinting on the water,  But...


AUTUMN SUNLIGHT

by me

Autumn sunlight--

gleaming seagulls glide

over white horses.


Only it would need to be something much better than that... for one thing, seagulls ride the white horses at any time of the year,  I would need to find an image that specifically suggests Autumn, as Matsuo Basho did.   The only Haiku thing in it is that as the birds are seagulls that should identify the white horses as waves. 


A friend popped in on Thursday with some pressies for me, including a lavender bag she had made.  I love lavender bags - buy them whenever I see them, but haven't been able to shop for a long time now.  She stayed for a cup of tea and a chat, but we kept at a reasonably safe distance.  It was so nice to see her.  The pandemic continues, but in theory with no more lockdowns in sight, and continuing vaccinations and boosters.  The Captain had left horrendously early to spend Thursday on the wild and windswept Hampshire prairies.


We keep in touch with Jacks via weekly phone calls - but we haven't seen each other for a long time.   Her health, like mine, deteriorates.  And Jean and I chat often - via phone and zoom -  and its same same re health.  But we are all past our sell by dates.


How short our lives are now.


Though I must also add that, despite all the aches and pains and problems, retirement has been wonderful so far. I never thought to be involved in the most important work of my life during my retirement. - telling all who will listen about the Kingdom of God.  And of course I have also had the excitement of being published as well.  And although I am as far from a best seller as it is possible to be, it is a great feeling to know that some people really do enjoy my books.


Talking of which, I had two more very welcome visitors Saturday afternoon, for tea and cake - fortunately I had just baked a batch of marmalade muffins - and they went away with a copy of Disraeli Hall.  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08VTNKZQJ/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1


I have been watching Landscape Artist of the Year, which I am recording.  I love love love watching artists at work. And I happened to look up at the early evening sea and skyscape out of the window, and saw a picture painted by the Greatest Artist of them all. 


And this morning the sunrise is wonderful - great banks of grey cloud pressing down as the rising sun pushes a line of pinky red ahead of it along the horizon of the sea.  Splendid. And if I live for millions of years - which I hope to, and more - I will never see another sunrise exactly like this one, such is the variety and the wonder of Jehovah's creation.





No comments:

Post a Comment