Monday 3 May 2021

The Initial Call

I was asked to stand in and do the Initial Call on Thursday night.  It was all a bit rushed, but this is the part I wrote out for us. I decided that I would start it at the end of a phone call, as we cannot go door to door at the moment. 


Householder....  so that is all the information we need, and thank you for your time.  Is there anything you want to ask me before we finish?

Sue:   Yes. I was wondering why you needed to know what religion I was. It seems an odd question in this context.  Its not a problem. I was just wondering.

HH:   Oh. That's an interesting question.  I hadn't thought about it. And I don't know to be honest. It is a bit odd with this sort of insurance If it was medical, can understand why we might need to know, as I see you are a Jehovah's Witness, and you are the people who refuse blood transfusions aren't you.  I used to go to church when I was young and all I can say is that you must have a strong faith in Jesus or someone to refuse them.

Sue:  Thank you. And yes, we do - we believe everything the Bible tells us about Jesus. But first and foremostly we put our faith in our Creator, Jehovah, the Almighty God.

HH:  But they are the same person aren't they - I seem to remember being taught that at school.

Sue:  So was I.  But what does the Bible actually have to say about it.  Can I read you one short verse?  It is the answer to the question Peter gave when Jesus asked him who he understood Jesus to be  (reads Matthew 16:16):  "Simon Peter answered: “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”  Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God.  So would you say that Jesus and the living God, Jehovah, are the same person, or two different people?

HH:  It says they are are two different people, father and son.

Sue:  Exactly. So we have faith in our Creator Jehovah, and faith in the ransom sacrifice of Jesus' perfect human life, the precious blood that he shed on our behalf.

HH:  Yes, we learnt at school about Jesus dying for us, but I can't say I really understood what it was all about.  It never made any sense to me to be honest.   

Sue.  I know what you mean.  I never understood it, not for many years until two Jehovah's Witnesses called at my door and showed me what the Bible on my shelf was saying.  I would love to tell you what they told to me, but you are at work and I should not take up any more of your time. But listen, if you would like to know more you have just taken all my contact details, and you are very welcome to phone me or email me.  Or you could look at our excellent website JW.org,  If you put "ransom sacrifice" into the search engine you will find a wealth of Bible-based information.

HH: Thanks. I might do that.


Penny zoomed in to join us, which was lovely.  The metal detecting continues apace and tomorrow I really must make another cake and re-stock the freezer. I have felt so bad over the weekend that I have got next to nothing done.

Terry rang on Sunday to ask Col if he would book him another morning slot at The Wetland Trust - he is not online - and it got me thinking of what have now become the good old days when the four of us - Terry, Jacks, Captain B and Mrs Captain used to have our monthly outings to the Wetland Trust for talks - and tea and biscuits.



No comments:

Post a Comment