Saturday 9 January 2021

The Yeartext for 2021 - Keep Calm and Trust in God


Our Yeartext for 2021 is from Isaiah 30:15 and in the face of the recent troubles in America (and so many other places) could hardly be more timely.  It says: "Your strength will be in keeping calm and showing trust.” 


The beauty of the creation is so calming and reassuring. The Captain caught the late Winter afternoon light in these lovely photos.  Surely we can trust the One who created such beauty?

And we are trying to reach everyone with the good news of the Kingdom of God - the perfect, just and loving government that the earth so badly needs - even though we cannot, for the foreseeable future, go door to door as we used to.

Keep calm. Trust in Jehovah.  If we trust Jehovah, we can keep calm. And trusting him means obeying him, as we trust that he knows exactly what is best for us.

Tuesday was X-ray day for me.  We parked up in Waitrose and walked  (we, or rather the Captain, did shop there - two pizzas and some chicken soups).  The X-ray process is so quick now - on the couch, a brief bit of re-arranging from the young lad in charge - a click a clank a whirr - and it was done. I was free to limp all the way back to Waitrose with Captain B.

At least I got my walk - not just to Waitrose and back, but also the walk from Reception to X-ray itself. It feels a bit on the triagy-side these days . If you survive the walk, you get the treatment.

I was up in the early hours of Friday morning - watched an episode of Bake-off - and had a cup of Twining Sleep Tea, The kind and beautiful friend who gave me the tea has added a comforting Scripture to each tea bag.  This one was Psalm 139:1-4, which says:

"I said: “I will guard my step To avoid sinning with my tongue. I will guard my mouth with a muzzle As long as anyone wicked is in my presence.”   I was speechless and silent; I kept quiet even about what is good, But my pain was intense.   My heart smoldered inside me. As I pondered, the fire kept burning. Then my tongue spoke:   “O Jehovah, help me to know what my end will be, And the measure of my days, So that I may know how short my life is."

These are powerful words, and harmonise with our Yeartext.  Just for a start if we don't keep calm in the face of all that is going on, we are, at the very least, likely to say things that are better not said.   

And Jehovah does help us to understand how short our lives are now, but that what he wants to give us is what he originally intended for us - life forever in the earthly paradise.

No comments:

Post a Comment