Thursday 21 January 2021

Climbing K2 in Winter



A team of Nepalese climbers has just reached the top of K2 in Winter - and it seems they all got back down safely!  As a keen armchair climber I can say that is amazing, an incredible achievement.  In fact, I would have said it could not be done...  Yet these Nepalese climbers have done it.  

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-asia-55710125

K2 is, I would guess, the most dangerous mountain in the world to climb - with Everest and Annapurna fighting for second place.   Though I think life is too precious to take such risks, nevertheless I have to acknowledge it as the amazing achievement it is.

And on our Tuesday afternoon walk, we saw another more minor feat of derring-do in the cold, as a few valiant surfers were out.  Brrrrrrr - though I guess, compared to the top of K2 in the middle of Winter it was almost tropical.  Amazing waves on The Channel on Wednesday - Storm Something is in the offing.

Winter Watch has started.  Hurray!  Though it is sad that while they praise and appreciate the creation, they never mention or thank the Creator of it all, Jehovah.  The Theory of Evolution has put up a tragically successful screen which is preventing so many people from seeing what Genesis is so clearly telling us.

On Wednesday the Self-isolating Bird Club (fb) had a picture of a gigantic bird called The Quetzalcoatlus Northropi, Apparently it's the largest known flying animal that ever existed.  It is BIG.

And it caused me to remember this little verse, much appreciated by us schoolkids of the 1950s:

Once a bird flying high
Dropped some whitewash in my eye
I don't scream, I don't cry
I'm just glad that cows don't fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment