Friday 18 September 2020

Au Revoir Walkies?

I have been trying to get myself back into the outside world and we took a couple of walks over the last week - the first to the River and back - just 30 minutes. And while I was in a lot of pain when I got back, it was OK as it it did not lead to a flare-up. However, two days later - a very short walk, to the Sea and back - 15 minutes - and my right ankle went, and I had 2 days of  being barely able to get myself round the flat.

Depressing.  I used to be a great walker.  But that is what old age is for us damaged children of Adam - a frightening and painful decline.  And at the moment, after months of sleeping well, I am back to the opposite (due to "discomfort) and feel so tired... I can't think what I did yesterday, apart from lie on the sofa dozing in front of TV quiz shows.   I did provide a supper for the Captain, though he had to hot it up himself, as he got back (from Timbuctoo?) just after the meeting started and found me in Zoom Meeting mode.

I changed the bed and washed the bedding, and got a card written out for Janet who has lost one of her beloved cats.    There is so much sadness in the world now.

The Covid crisis continues, but its hard to say what the rules and regs are as they seem to change every day.  But as the "discomfort" is keeping me in lockdown anyway, I don't have to worry.   The next train out of Platform Stress will I guess be Brexit - which is worrying - who knows how it is going to affect things - but presumably there are big changes ahead.

Some will surely be for the worse, but maybe some will be for the better.  I am taking no political sides in saying this; I know that neither staying in the EU nor leaving it will solve our problems - and that whichever way the vote had gone it would have had some good consequences and some bad consequences.

But the division and hatred it has caused has made me appreciate the wisdom of our Creator, Jehovah, even more.  He commands us to be "no part" of the world, as Jesus was.  We are to take no part in its cruel wars and its divisive politics.   The Christian congregation is made up of people from "every tribe and nation and tongue", and we are to be one loving family - united in love for our Creator, and for each other.   How would that be possible if we let "the world" and its politics divide us?  Wouldn't our own little local congregation family here have been divided by the Brexit/Bremain vote. had we taken sides?  Our peace would have gone.

In the meantime, is it really au revoir to much in the way of walking?  Or will I improve?  Remembering what happened to my mother and my grandmother worries me. But the medicines I am on now - thankyou NHS - were not available to them.  So who knows?

But here is the sure hope.  If I am to be in the restored earthly paradise living under the perfect, loving rule of the Kingdom of God, then "At that time the eyes of the blind will be opened, And the ears of the deaf will be unstopped.  At that time the lame will leap like the deer, And the tongue of the speechless will shout for joy. For waters will burst forth in the wilderness, And streams in the desert plain." - Isaiah 35:5,6

All so wonderful - and at the moment I am especially thinking of the lame who will "leap like the deer".


No comments:

Post a Comment