Wednesday 12 June 2024

More Micro-Moths



The Captain has been finding a lot of mothy treasures, but none of the other kind.  Jehovah is so generous with his treasures. The one above is an Orange-Tipped Nest Moth.

We had a lovely surprise when Dave and Maggie rang up to say they are in the UK and plan to come down to see us. They too lived on Planet Expat for many years.   And we thought they were still living in the Far East. They have been having a very busy and successful retirement there, with Maggie finding a new career in showbiz!

We had our usual sibling Zoom sessions on Monday morning - all seems well, thank God.  If I was capable of any more plane travel, I would take one more trip to Oz to see John and family.   My main trip on Monday was out onto the balcony, firstly to rescue a moth that was fighting with a small black and white bird.  I did rescue it - after an epic struggle (I opened the balcony door) - but then I felt bad because had I rescued a moth, or had I left a fledgling without breakfast... ?  What a difficult world it is, cut off from its Creator, with nature "red in tooth and claw".  Hopefully bird and moth will co-exist peacefully in the restored earthly paradise, just as the lion and the lamb will.

My second balcony trip was to get my meed of sunlight and also to continue with Jan Stepek's amazing book about his father.  I am close to the end now and hope to post another blog about it.  It is  impressive. How he managed such difficult and painful research and then managed to write about it in a way that makes it easy to read, and without any vindictiveness or vengefulness, I do not know.

But I am very impressed.  And it makes me realise, yet again, how wise our Creator is when he tell us to be forgiving and to leave the rest to Him.

There was, of course, so much sad news this week, and also of course, most of the tragedies and sadnesses in the world are not much reported, if at all.  Nevertheless I do want to note the loss of Michael Mosley. He went for a short walk on a Greek island, and never came back. He was found some days later, having died of what are being called "natural causes" - possibly heat stroke, heart attack? - I don't know.  But it is such a sad and sudden loss for his family.  His research and writing on diabetes was so helpful to my brother in law, and now to me.  It is a loss for all of us.

We had a great day with Dave and Maggie - fish and chips at The Arun View - quiche and salad for Maggie. It is lovely to have them living much closer - we have known them for so long. We are hoping to meet for a nice pub lunch maybe halfway between us before too long. It is sad how much time we spent talking about our various ailments though. And that is another aspect of old age that we never think about when we are young.

No comments:

Post a Comment