Tuesday 24 October 2023

BABET and MABLE




Hi Tide
by me

The sea had long wanted
to go into town
so early one morning
it roared in
found the arcades still closed
and battered them down.



I was reminded of this little poem I wrote many years ago - unpublished until now  (well, unless I have blogged it before) - because of pictures my sister has sent of the Porter Brook flooding Endcliffe Vale Park. I have seen the Brook in flood before, but never like this.  Storm Babet has been a bad one. It has claimed lives.  It may claim more as we are now being told that the flood water still lying in the North may be about to freeze over!

Once again I think of Jesus calming the storm on the Sea of Galilee.  Even the wind and the seas obeyed him.  He is exactly the ruler we need.  We cannot expect that from any human government, no matter how well-intentioned.

I had hoped this would be a week free from medical matters, but I had my filling done this morning. It was scheduled for November, but they had a cancellation and the dentist rang me up yesterday to ask if I could come in.  Much as I did not want to, I said I would and now I am glad that it is done.

The weekend was busy with Metal Detecting for Himself, and the meeting at the Kingdom Hall and MABLE for me.  Being taught from Jehovah's word was, as always, so comforting.

Mark Henderson read some extracts from his elusive folktales; and Mella May and Dale Neal also read extracts from their current books - very funny, All three books are linked here:

The latter two are the sort of books that children will love and that parents will love reading to their children. And they will all make great presents. Mark's book would make a great pressie for those exiled from the Derbyshire Dale countryside. He has done some amazing research, and come up with legends both funny and scary. 

The photo, taken by Captain B in the beautiful Derbyshire Dales, is in honour of Mark's new book.

The videos are all on Youtube now, and will be joined next Saturday by the launch video of my latest - last? - book,The Umbrellas of Hamelin.  

The launch is at 14:00 hours, or two o'clock in the afternoon for us oldies.  It is only a short video - 23 minutes - and I am still not sure what is going to be on it.  I hope to be there commenting at the side though.

I have my first comment ready to go, for if and when they show the video: "What is wrong with the camera here? Why am I not looking exactly like Kate Moss, only better?"

No answers on a postcard please.



No comments:

Post a Comment