Friday 6 October 2023

Autumn Crocus (and Gwen John)



We went to the Pallant Gallery on Tuesday morning to see the Gwen John exhibition, which is in its last week.  It was good of course - the Pallant does these things very well.  And I now know a lot more about the artist than I did.  She was part of that whole Parisian art scene in the first half of the 20th Century.  And she got a lot of recognition in her life - she sold quite well it seems, which is often not the case.

I met up with an old friend, known from my childhood: her painting of a corner of the artist's room in Paris, lent by Sheffield Museums Trust. Many many years ago, our father used to take us round the museums and galleries of Sheffield on wet weekend afternoons to give our mother a break.  

Interesting paintings - she has a subdued and soft colour palette.  

It was a beautiful Autumn day and we were surprised to find Autumn crocus in the carpark! I didn't even know there were crocuses/crocii(?) that came out in Autumn. It was a paradise earth moment.  If the world can look so lovely now, how lovely will it be when paradise is being restored earthwide?

I hope we are all there to find out, including all those we loved who we have lost to death.

My crumbling back means I have to pace myself, so I sort of dart at a painting or two and then go and sit down. But I did manage it. Strange to think though that our trips to London at various exhibitions are now a thing of the past for me.  We used to meet up with Jacks and Bea and have some great days out.  Old age means a lot of "lasts", which you don't always realise are "lasts" at the time.

Three more copies of Umbrellas have arrived, along with next year's diary!   Years barely seem to last a month these days... and yet (as I have probably blogged a thousand times already) they used to last so long.

Anyway, now I can get Lilian's copy off to her as promised.



No comments:

Post a Comment