Tuesday 7 January 2020

Circuit Assembly at Haysbridge

Saturday was our Circuit Assembly.   The theme?   Love Jehovah with all your Heart.  The theme text?    Deuteronomy 13:3.   It is a warning not to listen to false prophets, but to continue to give Jehovah, our Creator, the one who loves us, our exclusive devotion.

"You must not listen to the words of that prophet or that dreamer, for Jehovah your God is testing you to know whether you love Jehovah your God with all your heart and all your soul." - Deuteronomy 13:3

And it was also a powerful reminder of how much Jehovah loves us - how he wants us safe, and happy.   And the whole day was an example of the help he is giving to all who will accept it.
There was a Field Service Group at the Hall on Sunday morning - there was no meeting because of the Saturday Assembly.

I managed to get there and was glad I did, though I was anxious as we were working in Ford, near the open prison, and its a little further than I usually drive - though I was being a wimp as I have on occasions driven out there.  But I was assigned to work with a young brother who kindly offered to drive me.  And I knew where the territory was - it was a small caravan park - not an easy turning to spot. And I knew where the Visitors carpark was - so I felt useful as well.

And we had a lovely morning, though there were not many at home. He then went off for a game of squash with his wife, and I went home to fall asleep on the sofa. Though I did manage to have a hot supper read for Him Outdoors when he returned from his treasure hunt.   And yesterday I did next to nothing I am ashamed to say, apart from my study for the day and getting meals together.


What stays with me from the Assembly?   A phrase the speaker used about "the Micky Mouse attractions of the world".   The context was of a child who, in a strange place full of strange people, keeps tight hold of his father's hand. Then he sees something very attractive and wonderful for a child - such as seeing Micky Mouse at Disneyland - and instantly lets go of his dad's hand and rushes off.

So let us keep tight hold of our Father's hand - keep close to Jehovah - whatever attractions "the world" may be waving at us.

I can say now from the vantage point of three score years and ten (and a little more!) that whatever "the world" has to offer, it is temporary.  It cannot and does not last.  We can keep nothing of its glittering prizes.  And usually they turn out to be pure tinsel anyway. 

The defeat of death awaits all us damaged children of Adam.

But, when the Kingdom of God is ruling over us, "death will be more, neither will mourning, nor outcry, nor pain".       And what human government could ever achieve that, even with the best intentions in the world?  So find Jehovah, learnt about him, and stay close to him and to his congregated people.    There is no other teaching like it on the earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment