Friday 31 January 2020

Applause!

The Kingdom Hall broke out in spontanesous applause last night!  Most unusual for us, who are a quiet and orderly congregation.   And, no, (I hardly need to add) it was nothing to do with my own part in the School - that went OK, except that I managed to lose my way in the para I was reading from the "What Can the Bible Teach Us?" book.  My householder - my brilliant householder - was paying close attention, thank goodness, and pointed me straight back to the right line.

The applause was for the brother who did the Bible reading - Genesis 10:6-32 - which is full of Biblical "begats".   He not only read it beautifully, and kept our interest, but he pronounced every name correctly and without stumbling.

And that must have taken some practising.

The genealogical tables may seem dreary, but not when they are read properly and you understand the context. Not only are they showing the orderly progression to the chosen people and then to the Messiah, so that Jesus' genealogy is completely recorded, but don't they also stand as a defence against a world that is determined to make us believe that Genesis is simply a "creation myth"?    Generations of Hebrew Scribes faithfully transcribed the generations down from Adam.   There is no myth about it.

I drove to Angmering again - with my brave sibling as passenger - and we did an hour and a half on return visits - too rainy for first call, door to door, work.  And then we had a coffee together at the hotel.  So a happy, if tiring morning.

Mind you, everything tires me these days. As I have probably said before, old age is like running empty.

No comments:

Post a Comment