As we are creatures of habit these days, we have an early supper on a tray in front of the telly while watching Countdown. We record it. And last week a lot of contestants came and went. I think one was toppled every day, so they were using up their Teapots at a frightening rate. Though the young victor on Friday looked like he might be staying around, maybe to become an OctoChamp?
I put teapot into the search engine of Col's photo gallery - nothing. Then tea - nothing. Then pot, and came up with a crabpot on our local beach. So that is as close as I can get.
We watch Bargain Hunt at lunchtime, when we are both at home. I am usually at home these days, Col not necessarily so, his Detecting work keeps him busy.
Our food has got into a routine too. We always have oats, with seeds, nuts and bananas for breakfast - Col has his oats as porridge, mine are soaked overnight. We nearly always have soup - lentil/veggie homemade - for lunch, followed by fruit and yoghurt. Col has sandwiches and cake when he is out in The Field. And in the evenings Col usually has: pizza (Waitrose). baked potato with salad and beans, a pie from Turner's pies with new potatoes and veggies, a cheese and tomato omelette, and chicken/veggie soup on the days that he has a sandwich lunch. And he does often have crumble and custard for his dessert - plum crumble at the moment.
We still have our weekly supermarket delivery and pretty much order the same things week after week. I used to cook (and entertain) a lot in our expat years - and even in the first years of our retirement - curries, Thai food, Chinese food, Italian, TexMex, lots of interesting things. And actually writing this has reminded me of the tasty chili that Nadine cooked for us - and that I had decided to get out my old chili recipe from our expat years that I made so many times.
It is a very versatile recipe, incorporating lots of veggies and can be used with rice, pasta, or even topped with potatoes as a cottage pie.
In the face of all that is going on in the world, this blog seems occupied with the trivial details. Yet this morning I was talking to an American friend on Fb, a Jewish lady who lives in NYC. She was talking about the increasing violence and lawlessness on the streets there and was asking what things are like where we are.
I did mention "the increasing of lawlessness" the Bible prophesied for this time, and am wondering if there is any chance she will want to discuss it. We are living in, as the Inspired Scriptures say, "difficult times, hard to deal with".

No comments:
Post a Comment